Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The New Year is Here...Let's Catch Up

Having just read a delightful blog entry by my friend Tracy, I decided that maybe I should re-enter the blogging world; if for nothing else a creative writing release. I do wonder, who reads this anyway? And, who cares?

I haven't blogged since August and since then, life as I know it has forever been changed. In September, my dad's mom (MaMa Hart) fell down her basement steps and broke her shoulder. She went to the nursing home for rehab and was doing very well. She was content and really seemed to enjoy the company that the nursing brought. On October the 29th I was standing in the clerk's office getting ready to vote absentee when my mom rushed in and said that my dad called and MaMa Hart passed away. I was sad for me, but I was so sad for my dad. It doesn't matter how old you are--your momma, is your momma and you will always love her and always need her. We buried her in her red suit--just like she wanted--and I must say, she looked beautiful. She always loved jewelry and makeup and clothes; I'd like to think that I got that from her.



Ten short days after my MaMa passed away, came the biggest shock of my life. My dad passed away. I don't care how old you are--your daddy, is your daddy and you will always love him and need him. There really are no words that can describe the gamut of feelings I've felt since that day, so I won't even attempt it. While I know that he's at peace and the cancer that plagued his body is no more, it doesn't fill the void of knowing that my dad will never walk me down the isle; my dad will never hold my children; my dad isn't here. Oh sure, in spirit he's here...he's everywhere. Someone once told me that the veil between heaven and earth is so thin--that why couldn't he be here? Of course he can. So, in honor of my dad--we continue to live...we continue to love...and we continue to press on knowing that one day, we shall inherit what he already has.





Anyway, in the famous words of Annelle from my favorite movie, "Steel Magnolias"..."there are still good times to be had." In the midst of sadness, this is so true. Whether we like it or not, life does go on. We can either live with the changes or stay marred down in self pity. I choose to live and to love with every fiber of my being...and that's a loooooot of fiber!!

2 comments:

MaryAnn said...

I love, love, love this!!! You are a natural born storyteller!!!

Moochie Hart said...

Aww, Thanks MA!